fbpx

Home Forums The Community Home Studio

• Home Studio

rob-level created 4 months, 2 weeks ago 40 Members · 56 Posts
  • rob-level

Administrator
    October 3, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Smart Rappers, you may have watched my home studio tour video on YouTube. It took me YEARS to get all that stuff. Share your home studio here. Trade the best brands or equipment you use, or find the answers to your questions on what to buy next as you’re expanding your home studio. Everyone starts somewhere and you never know who you are inspiring to get their career started.

• Osick

October 3, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Should I get a iMac 27 inch for music production?

• Osick

October 3, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Should I get a 2017 model iMac 27 inch for music production?

• abe-lucero

October 4, 2018 at 6:52 am

yes

• phil-bachelder

October 4, 2018 at 9:09 am

Yo yo just took out a lil loan to get started already got a decent-ish laptop but NOTHING else. Should I go to a studio or build my own? I’ve been writing mad but don’t know how to make beats, my bro kinda does but is still new got a budget of about 1,500~ and open AF to any recommendations

• james-pak

October 4, 2018 at 10:57 am

I would recommend building your own home studio so that you can practice and make as much music as you want.
    1500 dollars can get you a pretty nice home recording setup.

• phil-bachelder

October 4, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Awesome I honestly don’t know where to start did Rob make any videos about it? (I know he showed his dope ass set up off but Idk about a starter kit or something) any pointers?

• emeric-guichard

October 4, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Yeah Rob shared some basic equipment that could help you ! ๐Ÿ˜€

• james-pak

October 4, 2018 at 2:30 pm

You’re going to need

Condenser Microphone – Some recommendations within your budget that I have personally used is.

Neumann TLM 102 (Should be able to find a used one for 500 or less. This one is my personal favorite

Rode NT1A (Very popular microphone, there are many different bundles that come with different accessories you will need)

AT4050

Audio Interface – This is what you are going to connect your mic to via XLR cable. Some recommendations I have are

Apollo Twin (My current audio interface)

Apogee Duet

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MK2

Cables, Pop filter, Stand

XLR cables to connect your mic to the audio interface

Pop filter for your mic

Stand to hold your mic

Acoustic Treatment

A well treated room is going to be key! Buy some foam, Uhaul blankets and check out Robs video on setting things up.

This is the most basic set up next to just buying a USB mic that connects straight into the computer. I could go into detail about external preamps, compressors, and EQs but all of that isnโ€™t really necessary. Most audio interfaces today have a solid built in pre amp which should be good enough for what you need. Let me know if you have any questions.

• rob-level

Administrator
    October 4, 2018 at 4:56 pm

If you are just starting out and only have a $300 budget here is the video for that!

DIY The Complete $300 Home Studio – SmartRapper.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmQ6MnnPgE

• rob-level

Administrator
    October 4, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Also James great post bro. Thanks for helping. I need to add a button to thumbs up or give props to good posts from user to user. Expect that in the future

• jason-neudorf

October 5, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Thanks James!

• rob-level

Administrator
    October 6, 2018 at 3:02 pm

@Phil build your own studio. Watch this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-IUit1HzcA

@Fransisco I wouldn’t spend the money on that you can get a lot more if you spend it wisely!

• xander-pope

October 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm

I don’t have the money to do so right now, I really want a home studio but money gets in the way, so I end up doing my raps on an S8 that my buddy gave me haha

• kieran-chua

October 7, 2018 at 2:49 am

Hey guys!

I’ve been making music for awhile now but now that I’m having other rappers come and make music with me my studio headphones and bluetooth speaker are getting a little troublesome and limiting.

I’ve been looking to buy some new speakers but am torn on getting studio monitors or getting a whole stereo system. Locally theres a lot of people who sell whole home stereo systems second-hand in good condition for like $75-$150 and these would be pretty full-on systems. Obviously this would hinder my mixing abilities quite a bit but also provide a really good sound.

I’m only really torn because of my lack of funds and not being sure if I should save up for a really good pair thats like $300+ or get a pair of studio monitors thats more in my current budget of $150-200 or get a really good stereo system for the $150-200 range as well.

Currently I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50X’s which I theoretically get a good mix on but what do you guys think?

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ <3

Viewing 1 - 15 of 56 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now